Search This Blog

Sunday, September 6, 2026

Green Lentil Dal with Spinach

Category: Dal / Lunch
Preparation Time: 10 mins + soaking time
Cooking Time: 20–25 mins
Servings: 3-4 servings
Dal is something I make quite regularly at home, and usually toor dal is my go-to dal for everyday cooking. After moving to the US, I started noticing different varieties of lentils that are easily available here. One of the ones I really liked after trying was green lentils.

What I particularly love about green lentils is their texture after cooking. Unlike some dals that become completely mushy, green lentils still hold their shape a little even after they are cooked. They become soft and tender, but you can still see and feel the lentils, which I really enjoy.

Green Lentil Dal with Spinach

This dal can be made as a simple plain dal, or you can add spinach or any greens you have on hand. Whenever I have spinach, I usually add it to the dal like I did here. Otherwise, I simply make the same recipe without spinach.

Of course, you can make this recipe with other dals too. I have made a very similar version with toor dal, which used to be my regular dal recipe before I started making it with green lentils.

The combination of tomatoes, ginger, cumin, kasoori methi and spinach gives this dal a lovely flavor without making it too complicated. It is a simple, comforting dal that goes well with rice as well as roti or chapathi.

Ingredients:

  • Green lentils - 1 cup
  • Spinach, chopped - 2 cups or as needed
    (I used baby spinach leaves)
  • Tomato - 2 small or medium, finely chopped
  • Fresh ginger, grated - 1/2 Tbsp
  • Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
  • Red chilli powder - 1 tsp, adjust according to spice level
  • Asafoetida / Hing - a pinch
  • Ghee - 1 Tbsp, divided
  • Cumin seeds - 1/2 Tbsp
  • Kasoori methi / dried fenugreek leaves - 1/2 Tbsp, crushed
  • Salt - as needed
  • Water - as needed
Toor Dal with Spinach

Method:

  • Wash the green lentils well and soak them for 1–6 hours, depending on how much time you have. When I plan ahead, I usually soak them for about 6 hours, which helps reduce the cooking time.
  • If you don’t have time to soak, you can also cook the lentils without soaking, or soak them for just about an hour. The cooking time will need to be adjusted accordingly.
  • Drain the soaked lentils and add them to a pressure cooker along with about 1½–2 cups of water, depending on how long the lentils were soaked.
  • Add grated ginger, turmeric powder, asafoetida, salt and about 1 tsp of ghee.
  • Pressure cook for 1–2 whistles, depending on the soaking time. If the lentils have been soaked for longer, the cooking time can be reduced. We want the lentils to become tender while still retaining a little of their shape and texture.
  • If using an Instant Pot, I usually cook them on Low Pressure for about 10–12 minutes or on High Pressure for about 5–6 minutes. Adjust the cooking time depending on whether the lentils were soaked.
  • Once the pressure releases and the dal is cooked, gently mix it and keep it aside.
  • Heat a sauté pan or tawa and add the remaining ghee.
  • Once the ghee is hot, add cumin seeds. When they start to splutter, add the finely chopped tomatoes along with salt.
  • Sauté for a few minutes until the tomatoes become soft and cooked.
  • Add the red chilli powder and crushed kasoori methi. Mix well and cook for a minute.
  • Add the chopped spinach and mix everything together.
  • Cook until the spinach wilts down.
  • Add about 1 cup of water and bring the spinach-tomato mixture to a boil.
  • Add this mixture to the cooked green lentils and gently mix everything together.
  • Bring the dal to one good boil and switch off the flame.
  • Adjust the consistency by adding more water according to your preference.

Green Lentil Dal with Spinach is ready!!

Serve this dal hot with steamed rice and your favorite vegetable side dish. It goes especially well with potato roast or seppankizhangu (taro root) roast. It is also delicious with roti, chapathi or jeera rice.

Toor Dal with Spinach

Notes:

  • The amount of water needed for pressure cooking is approximately 1½–2 cups, depending on the soaking time.
  • When I know in advance that I am making this dal, I soak the lentils for about 6 hours, which helps reduce the cooking time.
  • You can also soak the lentils for just an hour or cook them without soaking. In that case, increase the cooking time as needed.
  • Toor dal can be used instead of green lentils. This was actually my regular dal recipe before I started using green lentils.
  • Spinach is completely optional. You can make this as plain green lentil dal or add any greens you have available.
  • I used baby spinach leaves, but regular spinach or other greens can also be used. Adjust the cooking time depending on the greens used.
  • Green chillies can also be added along with the tomatoes if you prefer.
  • Adjust the red chilli powder according to your spice preference.
  • I prefer the green lentils to remain slightly intact rather than becoming completely mushy, so adjust the cooking time based on the texture you prefer.
  • The consistency can be adjusted by adding more water according to your preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment