Looking for a recipe? Let's search here

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

How to freeze pre-soaked dried legumes?

Category: Kitchen Basics / Tips


How I started to freezing legumes? At times, I want to do Channa Masala for dinner  or I need only small amount of beans to be added for our south Indian Kuzhambu varieties; but would not be having soaked beans in hand. Also I am not a person who will use the canned beans varieties. So I started soaking them and freeze for later use. Mostly I will freeze and use them within 1-2 weeks but I guess we can keep for a month also. If we have left over cooked beans, we can freeze that too and use within 1-2 weeks.

What are the legumes I used? So far I had tried this method with the dried legumes such as White Channa, Brown Channa, Rajma / Kidney Beans, Red Chori  / Thatta payarau, Val Beans, Green Peas, Yellow Peas, Whole Green Gram, also Green Gram sprouts

This will also help the working people who wants to prepare a protein rich meal but didnt thought of soaking the legumes prior. 

  • Plan: Need to plan what are the legumes we would need for the next 1-2 weeks
  • Soak: Measure; wash and soak them separately for overnight (preferable on a Friday / Saturday night for working Moms)
  • Drain: Next day morning, drain the water completely (we can also wash them) and allow to stand in a strainer for around an hour to remove all water

  • Freeze: Transfer the legumes to freezer safe boxes / ziplock covers and freeze them

  • Cooking: Whenever we need, we can take out required portion and cook as usual. Personally I feel, frozen legumes take a bit lesser time than their regular cooking time

No comments:

Post a Comment